How I Contribute to Higher Education’s Ongoing Success
- Curriculum Development Consultant in the Office of the Vice Provost Academic at Ryerson University located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (current)
- Tutor and co-developer of the International Educational Development Course with collaborators across Canada and the UK.
- Educational Development Specialist at The Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness at the University of Saskatchewan with a focus on curriculum evaluation, research on teaching (SoTL), and assessment (2012-2018)
- Instructor – Qualitative research methods (2016, 2017), Statistics (2015), Introductory Instructional Skills (10 times; 2013-2017)
- Trained ISW facilitator
- Workshop facilitator on methodology topics of statistical literacy, mixed methods, qualitative methods, and survey design
- Workshop facilitator for teaching and learning topics of experts teaching novices, how students learn, assessment, program outcomes development and evaluation, constructive alignment (Video on GMCTE YouTube channel).
- Writing, publishing and reviewing on curriculum evaluation, educational development research and evaluation, collaborations in research on teaching, graduate student success and more.
- Vice-Chair, Professional Development, Educational Developers Caucus (2014 – 2016)
- Educational Development Associate (or Graduate Student Coordinator), Centre for Teaching and Learning, Queen’s University
- Teaching Assistant Associate, Educational Development Office, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Graduate Student Representative, Senate Educational Equity Committee, Queen’s University
- Treasurer (Executive), Education Graduate Student Society, Queen’s University
- Secretary & Director of Policy, Graduate Students’ Association, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Co-President, Psychology Student’s Association, University of Toronto
Three+ degrees of education
- MBA Candidate, University of Saskatchewan 2017-incomplete (Business & Society, HR, and Accounting completed)
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Education, Queen’s University – Dissertation: A Contextual View of Support For Graduate Students’ Scholarly Teaching (full version) (Two-page Bridges Newsletter summary: Hoessler-2013-What-Supports-Graduate-Students-teaching.pdf)
- Masters of Arts in Psychology, Wilfrid Laurier University – Thesis: To Ipsatize or Not To Ipsatize: That is the Question
- Honours Bachelor of Science, Psychology Research Specialist Program, University of Toronto – Thesis: Does aging affect the use of shifting standards?
Some of my professional memberships…
- Member of the Educational Development Caucus since 2007 (also serving as a nomination committee member for 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2017 elections, and as a conference proposal reviewer).
- Member of the Society of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education since 2007 (contributed to the New Awards Working Group in 2009, and Adjudicator for the 3M National Student Fellowship 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017).
- Member of the Canadian Evaluation Society (2017, 2018)
Grateful to be Honoured
- 2016 Educational Developer Leadership Award, Educational Developers Caucus. This national award recognizes individuals who have demonstrated exceptional leadership skills working on a teaching and learning project or initiative that benefits the educational development community.
Other things I enjoy…
- Baking (with its own twitter account: @yxebaking)
- Puzzles (1000+ pieces ideally)
- Designing and stitching custom cross-stitches
- Gardening (when ground not covered in snow)